Monday, July 22, 2013

Ironwood Visit - Waterfalls and Lake Superior

On the weekend of July 12, we headed up to visit Nani and Papa in Ironwood. We were all excited to meet Fergus. A really great dog! (Somehow we managed to NOT take a photo of him or the boys getting to know him - how is that possible?) We played and worked around the house and also took a sight seeing trip along the Black River to see some waterfalls (really wanted Owen to see them as he has been talking/asking about waterfalls for weeks) and Lake Superior.

I'll allow the photo collages to (mostly) speak for themselves. The first one has a pic of the two falls we visited: Gorge and Potawatomie Falls. It has been in place for years, but I am always impressed by the extent of the trail, step, and railing network in place for all of the Black River waterfalls.


The second is of a very short trip to the beach by Black River Harbor. The black flies were as bad as I have ever experienced them. Truly horrendous. Took 95% of the enjoyment out of this part of the visit. We made sure the boys got to see the big water, we threw some sticks and skipped some rocks, and then beat a hasty retreat, slapping at our bodies, twitching spasmodically in response to bites, and exclaiming our dismay and disgust the whole way. We were all liberally covered in bug spray and I even sprayed some of the flies directly with spray as they swarmed my flesh. All to no avail. These were SUPERIOR bugs and I am sure I heard a few laughing at me as I showered them in deet. Silly human.





1 comment:

  1. The boys are such good explorers! They didn't seem to be bothered by the bugs as much as the adults. We will have to work at getting the pictures with the dogs!! Great weekend! Nani

    ReplyDelete