Friday, June 14, 2013

Apple Valley Move - First Act

We had one day between closing on the new house and closing on the old house. For that, and a number of other reasons, Karen and I made the decision to hire some professional movers for this move. Best. Decision. Ever. Turned out to be very affordable. Especially since they quoted us 6-8 hours but because Karen and I dismantled most of our furniture, boxed up 99% of our stuff in the weeks before and carefully stacked and organized a mountain of belongings in our garage, the move was over in a total of 4.5 hours. The movers were impressed. Of course, they didn't realize that this was something we had been dreaming about for years and that we have a few screws loose (Or maybe they are too tight?? Not sure exactly) when it comes to organization and planning for things like this. I'd say that both Karen and I have an innate talent for project management. Added to that is an almost fanatical dedication to the concept of "getting s**t done ... NOW!"

We just desperately wanted to go go go until it was all done and we could then relax and enjoy our summer in our new home. Obviously, we realize there is always something to do when you are a home owner and the unexpected jobs, chores, and crises will happen regularly (not to mention a seasonal maintenance schedule). I'm just talking about immediately handling every aspect of the move that was in our control at the outset.

I'm happy (and proud) to report that within days of moving, we had unpacked every box and put together every piece of furniture the movers brought over. We had changed every address, hooked up every service, and went CRAZY shopping for all the things we needed or wanted to fill our new space. The boys were excellent. They adapted almost immediately (easy to do when everything is an improvement) to both the home and their new daycare arrangement. So far, so good.

The First Act of the Apple Valley move was over.


Turns our new driveway was too steep for the movers to back right up to the garage (without gouging our driveway with an insanely low slung step). They took it in stride. Literally and figuratively.



No comments:

Post a Comment