A little over a week after the movers brought the entirety of our town home to Apple Valley, it was time to move our storage unit.
Our unit was conveniently very near the town home and we had begun filling it 3+ years ago. It was a necessary decision. About that time, we really began bursting at the seams in the town home. We also knew that we were going to have to ultimately get the house ready for showing whenever the economy and our budget would allow us to try and sell.
At first, we had a decent amount of room in it as it was some long term storage mixed with some seasonal storage to keep the garage from being too cluttered. Month after month, I ferried loads over to it as necessary. Over time (and it seemed too short of a time) we filled it! So we upgraded to a bigger one and one morning I used the Highlander and cargo carrier to move all of it over. Surely, this would be more than enough room. Right? Ummmm ... not so much. We filled that one too. We weren't upgrading again so I got "spatially creative" and "Tetrised" the unit nearly to the ceiling throughout.
I enlisted the help of Ben and we set Saturday, June 8 as storage moving day. He brought his SUV and I had the Highlander so that we could pack up fragile or oddly shaped items.
A nice perk of the particular storage company we were using was that you can get a one-time free use of their moving truck (with limits on mileage and time of course) when you leave. I eyeballed it and thought that it should be big enough to get everything over in the one free trip we would have. And it wouldn't be a big deal since Ben and I would have our vehicles packed up too. Right? Well, yeah ... turned out I was right. We did only need to use the big truck for one trip. I handed stuff up to Ben and he exhibited an exceedingly high level of Tetris skill. He pieced together a tightly fitted block of crap that I think would've stood on its own. Impressive. Even so, it still took us 3 full SUV loads to get everything over.
Thankfully, now that it is all on display for us, we are purging a lot of it. Heck, some of it we hadn't really seen in years. Some got tossed (or will be soon). Some got donated and some will go on Craig's list in the upcoming days. A lot of infant/baby stuff is finally going to disappear!!! I'm psyched. It is necessary because as much as we love the new Apple Valley house, like many homes of its era, it is "storage challenged."
The Second Act of the Apple Valley move was over.

No comments:
Post a Comment